Protection: Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers damage to the possessions in your home, as opposed to the home itself which comes under buildings insurance.

Contents insurance typically covers damage which occurs due to fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake, theft (or attempted theft), riots or vandalism, storms or flooding, subsidence, falling trees, moving objects (such as a cars hitting your home) and escaping or leaking water or oil.

Contents insurance may also cover:

  • your legal liability as occupier of the house, eg if a visitor has an accident and injures themselves
  • cost of accommodation and storage if you can't live in your home because of damage (e.g. fire, flooding etc)
  • some accidental damage to stereo equipment, TVs, computers, DVD players and any glass in furniture (e.g. a glass tabletop)
  • replacement keys and locks, and locksmith's fees if you lose or damage your keys
  • damage to TV and radio aerials, and satellite dishes
  • loss of food if a freezer breaks down
  • theft of cash from your home
  • contents of your outbuildings (although the amount of cover varies a lot from policy to policy and there may be lower limits for theft).

There are a number of optional extras such as:

Accidental damage – some policies include some cover for accidental damage, you can also extend this if you have an active household

Personal possessions – to cover items away from the home and overseas

Legal expenses – to cover the cost of legal proceedings if you need to bring action or defend a claim

We are independent and can consider the best options for you.

Speak to our expert protection advisers today on 01244 904 410

Quick Calculator